How to prevent and treat red eyes after eyelash extensions
Sometimes a client suffers from red eyes after an eyelash lengthening treatment. This condition can be the result of various factors. Sometimes this side effect disappears within an hour on average, and sometimes it can be a harbinger of serious health problems. In this article, we analyze the causes of red eyes after eyelash lengthening treatment. What are the visual differences between redness? What are the options for getting rid of redness and in what cases it is necessary to contact a doctor?
WHY EYES MAY BECOME RED AFTER EYELASH EXTENSION TREATMENT
The appearance of a slight reddening of the eyes after the work is completed is an acceptable reaction. Active work was carried out in this area for several hours in a row, and all the time the eyes remained closed. Usually, such irritation is not accompanied by any additional symptoms and will go away on its own after 2-3 hours. But there are other reasons why eyes may be red after eyelash extensions:
IRRITATION FROM PLASTER
Redness of the eyes after work can be caused by improper insulation of the lower eyelashes. If the pad is placed too close to the mucous membrane, it can cause irritation. If the client laughs or talks during the treatment, the eye pads may shift. This can cause irritation.
If the stylist applies too much glue during the treatment or does not separate the eyelashes with a microbrush, they can stick together, protrude in different directions and scratch the mucous membrane.
Individual sensitivity to all substances used at work (glue, primer, degreaser, extensions...) is possible. It usually occurs within 3-6 hours of treatment but never later than 24 hours.
The fumes from the glue can come into contact with the mucous membrane if the eyelash stylist does not cover the lower row of lashes properly during the treatment or if the upper eyelid is lifted too much. Fumes can also irritate the mucous membranes if the eyelids are not closed tightly enough during treatment or if the client opens their eyes. All of these can cause red eyes after eyelash extensions.
Ocular mucous membrane hypersensitivity
24 hours are enough for complete polymerization of the glue used to fix eyelash extensions. During this time, customers with hypersensitive eyes may experience redness. It can occur when work is done with tightly closed eyelids.
Correctly applied eyelash extensions should be glued 0.5 - 1 mm away from the lid skin. If the eyelash stylist applies them directly to the skin of the eyelids or to the roots, the extensions can injure the mucous membrane.
FIRST AID FOR RED EYE AFTER EYELASH EXTENSIONS
If the painful sensations are too strong or the redness after the treatment has not passed after 48 hours, it is better to contact an ophthalmologist. The doctor will determine the exact cause of the redness and other symptoms and prescribe treatment.
In case of complications, the ophthalmologist will most likely recommend removing the eyelash extensions. This should be done by the eyelash stylist who did the work. We do not recommend peeling the eyelash extensions yourself. The eyelid can be injured or the natural eyelashes can be damaged.
What to do if for some reason it is not possible to immediately seek professional medical help?
For first aid for red eyes after eyelash extensions, you need the following medication:
- Antibacterial eye drops can be put in the eyes. Pay close attention to the dosage for the medication.
- "Suprastin" or another antihistamine. If there are signs of allergy, take as directed.
- Using antiallergic drops (Vizin, Opatanol, Visoptic) it is possible to improve the condition of the eyes and relieve swelling or itching.
UNPROFESSIONALITY AND NEGLIGENCE OF EYELASH STYLIST
Red eyes after eyelash extensions can occur for several reasons:
- Expired or non-original glue (fake).
- Damage to the mucous membrane and skin of the lower eyelid due to improper fixation of the eye pad.
- Violation of the rules of sterilization, repeated use of disposable consumables.
- Violation of the technique of eyelashes: receiving glue contact with mucous membranes and skin, using excess glue, wrong way of working.
- Eye irritation and redness can occur if the eyelash stylist has glued an artificial or natural eyelash onto two real eyelashes. It is enough to contact the stylist to correct the work.
PREVENTION OF RED EYE AFTER EYELASH EXTENSIONS
The redness of the eyes after work can last 2-3 hours. To reduce the likelihood of negative consequences, it is worth following these recommendations:
- Protect your eyes from water for several hours.
- Avoid contact with moisture, water and steam for the first 24 hours after treatment.
- It is not recommended to visit the solarium at least two days after the appointment.
- It is better to sleep exclusively on your back.
- Avoid waterproof cosmetics, oil products and greasy creams.
- Try not to rub your eyes.
- Refill regularly (once every 3-4 weeks).
- Never have an eyelash extension treatment done if there is a sensitivity to any materials or adhesive components.
- Always keep your eyes tightly closed during the procedure.
- Don't laugh, don't talk, don't try to look at yourself in the phone or mirror during treatment.
- Immediately inform the stylist of any unpleasant sensations during work.
Conny Lashe's tip: The beauty treatment should be carried out in a studio by a professional eyelash stylist who observes all safety and sterility rules in her work. The symptom of red eyes after eyelash extensions is common. It is always recommended to consult a doctor and clearly follow his recommendations.
FAQ'S: RED EYE AFTER EYELASH EXTENSIONS
What to do if a slight redness has appeared under the eyelids and it is getting worse and worse?
It looks like the customer is allergic to the glue or the mucous membrane was injured during the treatment, resulting in redness. We recommend seeing an ophthalmologist.
What to do if eyelids are swollen and eyes are red after treatment?
Redness can occur if eyelash extensions are not done professionally. We recommend contacting the stylist to double check the work.
What to do if an eye is red and watery after the treatment?
This happens when extensions are placed too close to the eyelid. The eyes are irritated by the base of the extension. We recommend removing the extensions immediately.
What to do if the redness appeared right after the treatment and the stylist said that it will go away in a couple of hours, but this is not the case?
If it doesn't go away, the extensions probably need to be removed. The cause may be an allergy to the glue.
What to do if I have been getting eyelash extensions for many years and have had a problem since today?
In this case, such a reaction can occur for several reasons. Maybe the ingredients in the glue have changed, or it may have changed on your body. Consult a doctor.
What to do if I got my eyelash extensions today and my eyes are red?
It's probably an allergy. Remove the lashes if the medication doesn't help.
The information is really beneficial. Thanks for it.
Hola, el día de ayer me colocaron las pestañas pero es hora en que no se me quita el dolor ardor y enrojecimiento! Ya me estoy poniendo gotas pero no se me quita debo quitarme las extensiones?
Leave a comment